PHOTO CREDIT: Mark Avellino Photography
Australia Helloworld Travel Volleryoos hosts Argentina Saturday at Melbourne's Hisense Arena for the final weekend of the 2018 FIVB Volleyball Nations League, as the two sides go head-to-head for the sixth time in history. The 'Volleyroos' have never won. Australia saw Brazil put an end to their four-match winning streak last night, while Argentina are currently on a four-match losing run and keen to turn that around against the Volleyroos.
• Australia and Argentina have met five times at world level major tournaments. Argentina won all five.
• World level major competitions are: the VNL, Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cup, World League and Grand Champions Cup.
• Argentina surrendered a set in both of the first two encounters against Australia (2002 World Championship, 2007 World Cup), before winning the following three in straight sets (2012 Olympic Games, 2014 World Championship, 2015 World Cup).
• These teams will meet in Australia for the first time in a world level major tournament.
• Argentina have a 100% winning record against two teams they met at least six times in world level major tournaments – Tunisia (9 wins), Egypt (8 wins).
• After winning four matches in a row in the VNL, Brazil proved too strong for Australia on Friday: 3-0.
• It was Australia's fourth straight-sets loss in the VNL.
• Australia have won five matches in this VNL, two shy from their record number of wins at a single world level major tournament - seven in the 2014 and 2017 World Leagues.
• Paul Carroll scored 14 points for Australia against Brazil. He was the only player from the home team to reach double figures.
• Argentina lost 3-0 against Poland on Friday. It was their third straight-sets loss of the tournament.
• Last year, they also lost three matches in straight sets in the World League.
• The last world level major tournament in which Argentina suffered more than three straight-sets defeats was at the 2012 World League (4).
• Argentina can lose five matches in a row for the second time in the VNL, after losing the first five of the tournament.
• Joaquin Gallego scored three of Argentina's seven points from stuff blocks against Poland.
AUS V ARGENTINA 5:30pm today (Saturday) Hisense Arena
BRAZIL V POLAND 8PMTICKETS THROUGH TICKETEK - BOOK HERE